PPE: Your Last Line of Defence
Duration: 4 weeks
Concept: Choose a different PPE Topic to focus on each week e.g.:
Week 1: Introduction- Identifying and correctly wearing PPE
- Print PPE posters and set them up strategically on site.
- Distribute PPE leaflet.
- Conduct toolboxes (different workshops) to discuss the general importance of PPE as the last line of defense.
- Present (General PPE) safety briefing in a toolbox meeting.
- Print and distribute PPE related safety alerts at the end of the toolbox, as examples of consequences for the improper use of PPE.
Week 2: Hearing Protection
- Safety Briefing (toolbox) on hearing protection.
Activity: Do the earplugs fit test to check if ear plugs are correctly inserted. (See safety briefing: ear protection slide 15).
Week 3: Eye Protection
- Safety Briefing (toolbox) on eye protection
Activity: Do a test to check if eye protection is a proper fit (See safety briefing: eye protection slides 12- 15).
Week 4: Foot Protection & Hand Protection
1. Safety Briefing (toolbox) on foot protection.
Activity - Testing safety shoes:
- Load falling on a piece of fruit (e.g. apple).
- Workers can be asked to guess from which height the fruit will break. The load can then be allowed to fall on the fruit.
- This can then be repeated with a fruit in a safety shoe, in order to test the level of protection provided by the safety shoes and give a visual indication of why wearing them is important.
Note: This should be a controlled activity and workers should not be standing in close proximity to the falling load demonstration.
2. Safety Briefing (toolbox) on hand protection (you can use the safety alert: Operator injured finger using bench drill to stress that gloves should not be worn when operating machinery).
3. Debrief/feedback session at the end of the 4th week (via the PPE campaign feedback form using this link).
4. Provide workers with small package (PPE related) as a show of appreciation for their participation (optional per yard).
Wishing you much success with the Campaign!